"All the best stories in the world are but one story in reality -- the story of escape. It is the only thing which interests us all and at all times, how to escape."
--Author Christopher Benson

WE HAVE MOVED!!!! PLEASE COME TO THE NEW ESCAPE WITH DOLLYCAS INTO A NEW BOOK!!!!!

YOU WILL LOVE THE NEW BLOG!!!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

THE SHACK by WM. PAUL YOUNG

WOW What a story!!  I have heard a lot about this book, either you hate it or you love it. Well, I Love IT!!

It is very hard to review this book because I think part of the joy in reading this book was that I didn't read any reviews, didn't even read the back cover before reading this story, so I could read it with no prejudice one way or another.  I don't even want to tell you the plot, the characters or setting, except from the title you know the main character is the "shack".

I think people may hate it because of all the hype and their expectations are too high.  I will tell you the book deals with a family tragedy, you would never wish on anyone.  The story is a little mind boggling in places and hard to wrap your head around, but the message is clear.  It does get a little predictable at one point but it doesn't take away from the story in any way.

Is this the best novel ever written, of course not, but it is a book that can change the way you think about your relationships with your family, your friends, people you hardly know and your relationship with GOD.  Some of the answers in the book may give you a new point of view and different perspective to the age old question "Where Is God in a world that has so much pain?"

If you have this book on you To-Be-Read pile move it a little closer to the top.  If you have been thinking about buying this book or getting it from the library, please do.  Will this book change your life?  I can't answer that but I think you will be glad you read it.  I am so glad I read this book.

2 comments:

(The) Ladybug Lounge said...

I just read this book in December ! I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. It was a tough emotional read and I loved how well they depicted the trinity ! I liked reading your review.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I have yet to read this even though I own it. Like you say people either hate it or love it and it has scared me off a bit. After reading your review I think I'll have to give it a shot.

I have an award for you and your blog here;
http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/2010/02/award-time.html