"All the best stories in the world are but one story in reality -- the story of escape. It is the only thing which interests us all and at all times, how to escape."
--Author Christopher Benson

WE HAVE MOVED!!!! PLEASE COME TO THE NEW ESCAPE WITH DOLLYCAS INTO A NEW BOOK!!!!!

YOU WILL LOVE THE NEW BLOG!!!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW OR DO THEY? Week 8 --- If You Have Ever Participated In This MEME, Please Read!

 
I really had high hopes for this meme.  After getting it going turning it into more of a game and offering prizes, voting on the craziest answers each week, finding out what we had in common, what made each of us different.  But it never truly developed.  People participated one week and never returned, others participated occasionally, yet other just started and I don't want to scare them away. So the questions this week are more relating to this actual feature to help me reach a decision as to if I should continue or should cast it aside as a bad idea.

You may remember the idea came from my kids going back to school, one in college and one as a Senior in high school, making new friends and renewing friendships in different ways, and how I have made many new friends here in the computer world, but don't really know you at all.  I also wanted to use it to get to know my followers, not just fellow bloggers.

So here are the Week 8 Questions

1.  Do you ever feel like no one is reading your blog?

2.  Would this meme work better for you if it was offered on a different day?

3. Do you think there are already too many similar memes out in the blogisphere and I should stop this one?

Sorry extra question this week.
4.  If I were to continue with Enquiring Minds do you have any advice or changes you would like to see.

Thanks for your input.  If you choose not to post this week on your blog that is fine, you can leave your answers in the comment section to help me decide how to proceed.




6 comments:

Carol said...

Dollycas,
as u know I have participated in this meme and do enjoy it.
Personally, I dont join in every week dependent on
*time,
**whether my last posting was a meme (which it was yesterday - as dont want my blog to appear to be just memes)

I dont join in any memes on a weekly basis, just whichever one catches my eye on a particular day I am online and have time to blog.

Could you adverstise your meme via the pages at Bookblogs or Bookblog directory?

Could u have a vote on here for best day of the week etc? It may be that followers are around more at the weekend.

Do hope you can give this some more time.

carol

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I feel like this would work better for me on the weekends; I post in advance because I don't usually have much time on the weekdays to pull a post together. I would like to participate more though!

Nancy Bristow said...

Dollycas...I'm one of the ones that have not participated but have read your posts for a number of weeks now (it's delivered to me via email:). I like your format and can possibly be more specific when I take the time to check it out more closely.:)

The biggest reason for not participating is time...while I have all to call my own, it's a matter of balance between all the activities I enjoy. Much easier to say than actually do...particularly for those of us who love reading a book a day (or close to it).

So, bottom line is that I find nothing wrong with your blog but haven't taken the time to become involved. Hopefully you'll find some comfort in that many more are reading it than you realize. It's meeting a need you have so I'd hate to see you give up on it too quickly.

Between the gazillion blogs, twitter and facebook there are overwhelming forces in competition for (in this case) a readers time and attention. For me, as the whim strikes, I investigate blogs that come to my attention to see whether or not it's one that suits me and one that I'm willing to give up some reading time to participate in. It's a slow process...sometimes I lurk for months before actually joining in. I know there are only so many hours in the day so I try to choose carefully so I can maintain a balance in my life. I don't always succeed.

Things do change and particularly with colder weather approaching. Many of us will be spending more time indoors in front of our computers when we need a break from reading;)

A question: Can you enlighten me on what "MEME stands for? I haven't a clue. *shrug*

Keep the faith, Dollycas:)

dollycas aka Lori said...

Thank you everyone for your input. I plan to continue the feature starting on Thursday but leaving the Linky open until Tuesday and will link all the posts together so that if someone wants to go back and catch up they can and hopefully those that have more time on the weekends can still participate.

The reason I got a little nervous was because in the last two weeks, I have noticed very similar features started recently on other blogs during my blog travels and even found an very similar feature started quite a while before mine that I had never seen before which is very successful and didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

I love this feature and thank you all for your encouragement and thoughts. Please never be afraid to honestly tell me what you think, I am always open to thoughts, suggestions and constructive criticism. I love getting to know each and every blogger and follower that I can. In this bloggy world the only way to do that is to ask questions and learn about each other. Chances are most of us we will never meet face to face, especially me because I am quite hermit-like, but I appreciate everyone that I have virtually gotten to know.

Nancy, I may be using the term meme incorrectly, I picked it up from other blogs, but your question sent me to Wikipedia who defines a meme as "a term that is used to describe a concept that spreads swiftly via the Internet. The term may refer to the content that spreads from user to user, the idea behind the content, or the phenomenon of its spread. Internet memes have been seen as a form of art"

Here's the link for more in depth definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

I guess what I have started is a feature or a game or a blog hop of sorts. A first I thought of it as me standing here jumping up and down yelling " ME! ME! like a kid wanting to be picked on a team. :)But have learned the true meaning today.

HAPPY BLOGGING/READING EVERYONE!!!

I hope you will come back often to visit and at least once a week to answer the questions this Enquiring Mind Wants To Know.

Lori

Julie P said...

Memes take up so much time for me that I try to limit myself to one meme a day. And by the time I get all my chores and such done, I sit down and blog so late. I don't know--I will try to participate in this meme if it continues on Thursday. Thanks, Lori!

Martha Eskuchen said...

I'm not timely but I got it posted! Thanks for trying and don't get discouraged.