"All the best stories in the world are but one story in reality -- the story of escape. It is the only thing which interests us all and at all times, how to escape."
--Author Christopher Benson

WE HAVE MOVED!!!! PLEASE COME TO THE NEW ESCAPE WITH DOLLYCAS INTO A NEW BOOK!!!!!

YOU WILL LOVE THE NEW BLOG!!!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My First JUST FOR FUN READING CHALLENGE Book. Plus Some VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

Avon
An Imprint of Harper Collins Publishers

  • ISBN-10: 0061128643
  • ISBN-13: 978-0061128646


Rocky's husband was just 42 when he died suddenly and turned her world upside down.  She quit her job, cut her hair and left Massachusetts for Peak's Island, a tiny place off the coast of Maine.  She was a psychologist and leaves that career behind and takes a job on the island as an Animal Control Warden.

She struggles quite a while trying to deal with her loss. She makes a few friends, one of which is a large black Labrador, named Lloyd.  She finds him as part of Animal Warden duties with a primitive arrow impaled into his shoulder. As she nurses him back to health he nurses her through her loss. She also needs to find out who shot the dog and in doing so her grief moves to the back burner and realizes her life is not over because of her husband's death, it is just on a different path and she can survive and find true joy again.

This was a moving story and a very quick read. The author seems to be able to write both human and canine feelings/thoughts with ease.  I liked the bit of mystery thrown in which was unexpected by this reviewer.  I chose the book because another blogger recommended it and didn't realize that it had a mystery element, I thought it was just a story about an animal helping someone through their grief and was pleasantly surprised with the little bit of who-dun-it.

This book was from my personal collection.  I was not compensated in a way and was not even asked to review this book.













Just a couple of reminders about the JUST FOR FUN READING CHALLENGE:
1. YOU MUST FILL OUT AN ENTRY FORM COMMITTING TO READ 1 BOOK JUST FOR FUN EACH MONTH.  This link will take you to the post that includes the rules and the ENTRY FORM.  There are several people who have filled out the January form that have not filled out the entry form.

2.  YOU MUST FILL OUT A SEPARATE FORM EACH MONTH TELLING WHAT BOOK YOU READ JUST FOR FUN THAT MONTH.  This link will take you to the post that includes the January Form.  I have allowed a 3-day grace period each month so this form is due my February 3, 2011.

To be entered into the contest at the end of 2011 to win any of the prizes you must fill out a total of 13 forms.  The original entry form and one form for each month.  

Because of the number of entries I will be adding at least one more prize to this contest and may add some surprise prizes throughout the year, so be sure to fill out of the forms, I really would hate for anyone to miss out on any of the fun.  If you have any questions, please email me at dollycas79@gmail.com or leave a comment below.


9 comments:

Teresa said...

One would think that this would be an easy challenge to do, but it is actually proving to be difficult. I have participated in a lot of book tours this month which means I did "select" the book, but I also had to review it. I'm still hoping to squeeze one in from my own library soon.

Gigi Ann said...

I read this book, and enjoyed it. I don't think this challenge would be to difficult for me, because most all the books I read are just for fun reading. I am reading a fun book now "Blame It On Paris" by Jennifer Greene. Will go see if I can fill out the form now. I really don't like filling out forms, because I always do something wrong. hee, hee.

dollycas aka Lori said...

Teresa,
This may help you: 3. Read 1, yes, just 1 book for fun each month. Bloggers if you feel compelled to review the book you can but it is not required.

Gigi Ann,
Don't worry, very easy forms!!!

Nise' said...

Glad you enjoyed this one. I did as well.

Unknown said...

Sounds like an interesting story. Peak's Island! That's my old stomping ground from my days of growing up in Maine. I'll have to look into the challenge also. It sounds pretty easy and I generally read at least one book a month just for fun without being asked anyway.

dollycas aka Lori said...

Nise,
I think I picked it up because I saw it on your blog. I am doing a much better job this year keeping track of who recommended what, especially with the 3 R's challenge.

Literary Magic,
I hope you will join us, I hope everyone will enjoy this challenge.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I will post mine yet - do not worry :) Your book looks good!

Bonnie@TheFragileXFiles said...

I filled out the form for my January "just for fun" book -- I have the Just for Fun logo on my blog -- now I'm wondering, can i get the 1/12 percent part on my blog as well, like it is on yours? How did you do that?

Julie said...

This one seems like a very sweet and interesting read! Thanks for the review!