"All the best stories in the world are but one story in reality -- the story of escape. It is the only thing which interests us all and at all times, how to escape."
--Author Christopher Benson

WE HAVE MOVED!!!! PLEASE COME TO THE NEW ESCAPE WITH DOLLYCAS INTO A NEW BOOK!!!!!

YOU WILL LOVE THE NEW BLOG!!!

Friday, November 5, 2010

FEEL GOOD FRIDAY!!! & GOD'S GUEST LIST by Debbie Macomber


Welcome to 

Feel Good Friday! 

Erika had found that a lot of her bloggy friends reading posts about being positive, so she thought she might try her very own meme.  She just wanted everyone to feel good and have some happy thoughts as you begin the weekend.  

It is never too late to join!!! 
 I have posted the prompts here to give you some idea of what this meme is about:
Pick one of these prompts and write about it on your blog!  You can: 
  • Just make a list. List 5 things that made you really happy this week. No matter how bad or boring you think your week was, I bet you can find 5 things.  
  • Write about something that happened to you this week that really made you smile.  Was it your child, husband, or maybe a complete stranger did to you?
  • Write about something that YOU did for someone else that really made them happy or laugh.
  • Is there something you treasure so much that every single time you look at it, it brings you happiness?  Post a pic and tell everyone about it.
  • Having a hard week and can’t find one good thing about it?  Well then, what is your happy place?  What do you think of that makes you happy? A past vacation?  A childhood memory?  We want to know!
Then head over to 
and link your blog so everyone can visit and see all about what made you 

Feel Good!!!


I haven't had a good week this week for many different reasons and reasons that I don't even understand myself, so I really didn't have a FEEL GOOD kind of week.

One thing I did enjoy this week was reading God's Guest List by Debbie Macomber. It really made me think and opened my eyes to a lot of things that have happened in my almost 50 years of life.

The book talks about people God has put in your path or "on your list". Why they appeared when they did or opportunities that may have been missed because we were not welcome or open to the guest he sent. She also talks about angels and guests who were only in our lives for mere seconds.

It all started by Debbie making a list people she had admired and wanted to meet. As she started to meet these people found things about them she didn't really admire and as she thought more about it there were so many more ordinary people, some even "prickly people" that she had met in her life that had a greater impact on her life than the people on her list. She started to think about how these people may have received a special invitation from God into her life and placed there for a specific "heavenly purpose".

This book made me think of all the people that I have met on my path and to list them would take up many more spaces that the 30 Debbie gives us in the book. I have had more than a few "prickly people" on my path that affected my life profoundly, but I have had far more extraordinary people pass through my life, some stay forever and some are with me for just a blink of an eye.

My life has changed so much in the past 10 years since my accident and many times there have been days/weeks that I truly wonder why God chose to leave me on this earth in this condition. I have always been a very stubborn person and prior to my accident extremely independent. Now I am still very stubborn but extremely dependent on others for almost everything I do, or want to do. This past week my lost independence really just reared up and slapped me in the face, and I didn't, and am still not handling it well yet today.

I know I am on God's timetable, not my own and am very happy to still be here with my friends and family, but there are so many times I feel helpless and worthless because of the things I can't do that I used to do without a thought. Decisions are made without me when before my opinion was sought out and valued.  I could go anywhere and do anything without consulting everyone's schedule. You would think after all this time I would be used to being left out or being dependent, but it is still hard, some days more than others. I know I  need to snap out of this and face some facts and think about the things that I need to be thankful for:

  •  I really shouldn't even here today. I remember the emergency room personnel discussing my case as I had laid there and they said I wouldn't make it through the night and I almost didn't. A few call my being alive a miracle.
  •  I could be completely paralyzed, but because of some talented doctors (who my sister swears looked like high school students) they were able to screw me back together and with tons of therapy I am only paralyzed on one side.
  •  A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with a cyst near/on my spinal cord, told that it was inoperable and that I should live each day to its fullest because a fall,a shake or even just turning my head wrong could cause the cyst to rupture and the best outcome would be death, the worst would be 100% paralyzed.
  •  I have been here for some wondrous times, seeing my children grow up, the birth of my grandson, my oldest son get married, just name a few.
Most days/weeks/months/years the good things outweigh the bad, but every so often I have times like I have been having this week that I question why I am here and doubt God’s works.

Relating to this book, God had an angel in that van with me. If you look at the pictures below you will see what I mean. He put wonderful doctors, nurses, therapists on my list/path. He gave me a wonderful family, the one I was born into, the one I married into and the one Jeff & I created.

I am not telling you any of this for your pity or sorrow, but I have talked about my accident many times and since I had one of these yucky/sucky weeks I wanted to share with you a few of the details, because what does make me feel good not just this week, but every week is that God has also put all of you on my list. He has put me in your path and you in mine and for that I really

Feel Good!!!

I still don't know how they got me out of there, but the scars on the top of my head had something to do with the Jaws of Life being used.

You have to imagine that it was upside down when it landed.
Me, on one of my 72 days at the hospital.  The kids called my body brace, my Zena Warrior Princess costume.  Yes, I smiled quite a bit for what I had been through.  I believe this was the day they told me I would be going home soon.

 

6 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

God bless you, Lori. That's an amazing story. I'm so glad you were able to recover and enjoy your kids and grandson. I'm willing to bet the accident changed them too.

You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

You asked if this post was ok, and it is better than OK - it is wonderful on so many levels.

This is the epitome of FGF.

This post is inspirational to everyone who reads it or will read it. It is to me. SO I believe that if you can touch just one person, you have done well.

Jackie said...

Lori, my tears are falling so thick can barely see to type! Thanks to a wonderful set of mortals you are still where you should be lady with the family who is lucky to have you, even if like today and this past week you may not think so!

Take care and hang in there!

jackie >_<

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

A beautiful post Lori. You and I have a little more in common than you know :) I think these experiences make up appreciate life more, take time to really cultivate friendships, and openly share our hearts. At least that is what has happened for me.

Life is too short to live with regrets. Bless you for sharing your heart and your story. You are an amazing woman!

dollycas aka Lori said...

Thank you everyone! This post was almost deleted but my computer hung up and after I restarted the computer the post had posted and I am so glad it did. Sometimes it is better to hide behind this computer screen but others it's good to let things out warts and all for the world to see.

You are all amazing!!!

Unknown said...

Lori, this was a wonderful post. I am so glad you shared it with all of us. Those pictures of the van made me cringe. God and his angels were definitely with you and looking over you.

This post and the notes on Debbie's book really hit home with me. I lost my Mom almost two months ago and am still having a really tough time on some days. You reminded me to be thankful that I had her in my life so long and we did get so much time together. The good times far outweighed the bad.

Thanks for reaching out and sharing with us,
Jules